Monday, March 28, 2011

School on Lockdown

     We are told to expect the unexpected when it comes to teaching, well I don't think anyone could have expected this past week's events. Last Wednesday there was a shooting that resulted in the death of an Athens police officer. Needless to say Athens was in a state of shock and panic. Schools went on lockdown immediately which only intensified the fear in others. This was a new experience for me, I had no idea what to or how to go about daily school life. School went on as normal for the most part on Thursday. There was no recess or outside activities which was to be expected. Friday on the other hand was a completely different story. I quickly learned that "Soft Lockdown" can mean many different things. We were technically on soft lockdown the day before but for the most part school life went on as normal, whereas Friday students were not allowed to leave the classroom. Lights were turned off, movement was minimal and announcements were made every 15 minutes. If there is one thing that I can take away from this situation it is that we as teachers and adults can foster fear or handle the situation in a way that comforts students. With every announcement I could see that panic in my students. I understand that in a situation like this it is so important to make sure that teachers and students are aware of what they should be doing, but coming over the loud speaker to tell teachers how important it is that students do not go anywhere by themselves only made students question the situation more. I think that the situation could have been handled in a much better way. I think that the teachers should have held a morning meeting to discuss what was going on and answer any questions that the students had and that announcements to the teachers should have been done in private through emails. 
     This situation taught me a lot about myself as well as how to handle tough situations. I hope that I never have to face another situation like this but if I do I will be so much better prepared. 

1 comments:

Beth said...

What a week it was last week. You all certainly got to see some things that were unusual and cause for thought and reflection. I am sure the students were glad you were there to provide some support and reassurance.

Post a Comment